73.2% of websites are running outdated & vulnerable software.
Raise your hand if you haven’t updated your website in months. If you’re a busy small or medium sized business owner, chances are your hand is up.
Your website is like your car, if you fail to do routine oil changes, the car’s performance will continually decline until the engine stalls. Don’t do the same thing to your website, not after all the hard work you did to get it up and running. Aside from quality content and good design, website maintenance is equally important to maintain the value of your website over time. In this article, we’ll define website maintenance, explore what it includes, and why it’s essential for your business.
What is Website Maintenance?
First, let’s explain what ‘web maintenance’ actually means.
Website maintenance refers to the process required to keep the site functioning properly and up-to-date. It entails regularly checking for issues, correcting any issues, and updating software and plugins. It can also be updating content, adding images/links, testing functionality, and so much more.
Why Is Website Maintenance So Important?
Maintaining a current and healthy website is important for a number of reasons, including:
- Security: Far too many people believe their site is too small to be hacked and think “why would anyone to want to hack it?“. Unfortunately, hackers do not discriminate. The main reason a website is hacked is because it’s using out-of-date software, making it easier for hackers to gain access. If you’re using a website building platform, like WordPress, make sure you’re installing regular software updates and security patches.
Research shows that over 60% of WordPress sites don’t run the latest version of WordPress or plugins they’ve installed.
- SEO: Regular website maintenance is paramount for your search engine rankings. If you fail to regularly update content on your website, it will rank lower in search engine listings. Google ranks websites with fresh and most relevant content higher than sites with old content.
- User Experience: In addition to back-end maintenance, routinely check contact forms and make sure your address, phone numbers, services, products and prices are current and accurate. Also scan for any broken links or functionality and fix it immediately.
What does Website Maintenance Include?
Below are some of the most important tasks involved in website maintenance for your WordPress website (can apply to other platforms). This is a laundry list of tasks that should be done to keep your website running smoothly.
- MOST TIME SENSITIVE: Update all website software and plugins (monthly or as updates are released)
- Check that all pages are loading without errors
- Make a backup of your website — the website itself and the data (store a copy in a safe place)
- Test website forms and checkout process
- Remove any spam comments from pages and posts
- Check pages to see if there are any broken links
- Search for 404 errors and fix or redirect
- Write one or more blog posts to engage audience and boost SEO
- Review security scans
- Review your website design and structure – should anything be updated?
- Check images and content – should anything be updated?
- Test and tweak popups, forms, and calls to action
- Test your website on all devices and browsers to see if it displays correctly
- Clean up the database
- Review advertising campaigns to see if anything needs to be changed or updated
- Update any reference to the current year
- Review each page for content accuracy, grammar, and relevancy
- Make sure any active email addresses are working and delete old ones
- Ensure that your website domain name is renewed
- Consider whether a website design update is due
Just like a car needs routine oil changes and maintenance, your website does too. Regular website maintenance can save you time, money, and unnecessary trouble in the long run. So perform these maintenance steps on your website and stick with them. Your website will thank you!
Let us help you!
At Twingenuity Graphics, we offer a hassle-free, no contract Website Care Plans. Just think of us as your in-house website team! To learn more about our website care plans, visit our Website Care Plan’s page.
This WordPress website maintenance checklist below covers each and every aspect of website maintenance right from security, backup and website performance to content, SEO and more.
WordPress Website Maintenance Checklist (Infographic) – 50+ Essential Tips & Practices by the team at bigrockcoupon.in